Yoorana Women’s Domestic and Family violence Service is dedicated to ensuring that women and their children affected by Domestic and Family violence are empowered to live in safety and in control of their own lives.
Our values will guide us in our vision and purpose every day
We believe that freedom from all forms of domestic and family violence is a basic human right of all individuals.
- We will centre the safety of women and their children in all our decisions.
- We will appreciate the diverse experiences of women and their children and recognise that this shapes their experience of violence.
- We listen and learn from them – they teach us how to do our work.
We value the dignity of all individuals while appreciating our differences and celebrating and honouring our diversity.
- We will respect women’s rights to make their own decisions and choices for themselves and their children.
- We will have brave, honest and respectful conversations with people.
- We will talk to people, not about them.
- We will clearly communicate what we can offer and what we expect of each other.
Equity and Empowerment
We believe empowerment begins with recognising and knowing that individually and collectively our clients, staff and stakeholders have the strength to make necessary change to accomplish our goals.
- We will consistently and fairly prioritise and allocate resources by considering immediate needs with long term sustainability.
- We will share the work fairly to deliver effective responses and to create systemic change.
- We will actively seek out diverse voices to help us identify and remove barriers to accessing our services.
We believe individually and as a collective service that we are each responsible for our words, our actions, and our practices.
- We will have documented frameworks that guide our decisions and responses, and we take responsibility for our choices and actions.
- We will be committed to continually improving our services to ensure they are relevant, specialised, consistent, ethical, practice-led and evidence-informed, while adapting to a challenging and ever-changing environment.
- We will evaluate our programs to ensure they contribute to the safety of women and their children and add to the body of knowledge about this work.
- We will demonstrate that we manage our resources effectively, efficiently and responsibly.
- We will coordinate community responses that centre the safety of women and their children by making the impact of their experience of DFV visible.
Our vision is to have all woman and children afforded the right to live safe, free from domestic and family violence in their home and in our communities.
Our purpose is to provide therapeutic support, advocacy and a safe haven for women and children experiencing or who have experienced domestic and family violence.
We are guided by the feminist-based principles of autonomy, choice and empowerment and are dedicated to fostering an inclusive environment to create change and improve safety.